Thursday, August 02, 2007

define "adult"

I just realized that I'm 27; I'm in my 'later twenties.' So it makes me wonder: What does being an adult really mean? I feel like 27 crept up on me and that I'm too young to be this age but I couldn't explain why. I read somewhere recently that because of college and other things, adolescence has crept its way into the lives 20-somethings, meaning the uncertainty and turmoil of being a teenager doesn't only apply to those actually in their teens. So, should I feel like an adult? I have a full-time job, which is probably turning into a career without me really knowing it. I have my own little apartment to rent. I cook for myself. I have to clean everything myself. I am 'responsible' for all that stuff, so I guess I am an adult. I just wonder what little 10-year old me might say to 27-year old me. Probably something like, "Really? You like vegetables?"

1 comment:

Dave said...

I know exactly what you mean! I have written this same post 5 or 6 times. Except, I use the term 'grown-up'. I'm not a grown up. And instead of 10, I feel 12. So, I guess I few years beyond you. ;)

I wonder when the grown up thing will hit. I'm married and have a kid and still feel 12. odd.

Maybe it means we're 'young at heart'? Though, I often think it means I am 'delightfully self absorbed'.